Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Book Response #1

In the book Frozen by Michael Northrop, a group of teenagers are in their school waiting to get picked up, and then the snow starts to fall. It starts off light, and then it becomes heavier and heavier, falling down in one continuous sheet. It didnt take long for them to realize that no one was coming for them, that they would have to spend the night in school. One night turned into 2, two turned into 3, three turned into four, etc. I personally did not fall in love with the book. I thought it lacked adventure, the characters weren't developed, and it wasn't a favorite of mine.

As I stated above, the characters in this book are being tested physically and mentally, but I didn't find myself caring about whether or not the characters lived or died. I mean, maybe it is just my personality, but I honestly don't see why the character didn't develop the characters more. They are stuck in a school without knowing whether their family is safe or not, the author could have easily showed the characters emotional side even more so. The kids are trapped in a school building, not knowing where any of there families are, or if they got caught in the storm and died because they were out picking up them. The risks of people running out of oxygen are high for people living in small homes, so is it even possible that their families are sad? Not only would it be easy to explore their emotional side more, but it would simply be fun. Because of this, I found myself not caring what happened and it was very frustrating to even turn the page.

Another problem I had with the book was that the authors voice was supposed to be a boy around the age of 15, right? Well, I found this completely off. He used old idioms in this book like "come on like gangbusters" (yes, I know a lot of idioms, thanks to my grandma.) I felt more like the narrator was a 45 year old man trying to be young and hip remembering the Good ol'days. The book didn't seem real to me.

All in all, the characters in this book did not seem realistic to me at all. I would talk about the ending, but I suppose I'm not supposed to ruin it for anyone. I feel like the author should have taken more time to explore many things that are spoken about in this book on a deeper level.


1 comment:

  1. I remember you talking about this with me a few days or a week ago. I like the mentions of your grandmother in the response.

    ReplyDelete