-*Spoiler alert*-
Book: ON THE HEAD OF A PIN
Author: Mary Beth Miller
Joshua and Michael were at their friend Andys house, just messing around. Andy was fooling around with his dads hunting rifle, and then it accidentally went off. It killed a classmate of theirs, and then they all freaked out. Andy, with threatening and persuasiveness, got his two friends to help him bury the body, and to not say anything. Joshua deals with the trauma of it all by praying and relying on his faith. I think that by the end of the book, Joshua will no longer believe in what he believes in.
Joshuas best friend, Andy, has changed over the years. I think that Joshua feels as if he is trapped between his faith to God and to his faith to his lifelong friend. Andy hangs out with the wrong crowd, drinks, and just isn't the ideal christian. He does a lot of things that go completely against Joshuas beliefs. That in itself can make Joshua hate religion for making him feel as if he has to make a choice.
I think Joshuas relationship with God is something that has gotten him through everything that has been going on. First it was him being so traumatized over his sisters accident, and then it was the shooting. I think that he uses God as something/someone to pray for forgiveness for, almost as if he is praying away the guilt. Guilt is something that he seems to have for everything, and I think if he broke off relations with Andy, he would just be so overwhelmed with guilt.
I also think the fact that Andy killed someone is something that frightens Joshua. I don't think the relationship will ever be the same. Andy threatened to murder Joshua if he didn't help bury the body, so I know that that would scar Joshua enough to have him frightened to speak his mind for the rest of their friendship. That practically disables Joshua from ending their friendship, and then the only thing he can willingly end is is faith. There is only so much faith someone can have when they put so much into something and receive nothing out of it.
I think that because of this and him feeling stuck with being friends with Andy, he will become obsessed with the idea of praying. He will pray for his sister, pray for forgiveness over Helens murder, pray to forgot, etc. He will become obsessed with it, he will put so much of himself into it. Eventually, I think he will just lose faith once he realizes that nothing is happening. Nothing is changing no matter how much he is praying, and eventually he will just hate religion and his life for giving him empty hope.
I think that when someone completely trusts and believes in something, and then that something lets them down, there really is little to nothing that you can do to stop that person from eventually hating it. Especially when it is such a controversial topic like religion, with Joshua putting so much of himself into it, and getting nothing back.
Book: ON THE HEAD OF A PIN
Author: Mary Beth Miller
Joshua and Michael were at their friend Andys house, just messing around. Andy was fooling around with his dads hunting rifle, and then it accidentally went off. It killed a classmate of theirs, and then they all freaked out. Andy, with threatening and persuasiveness, got his two friends to help him bury the body, and to not say anything. Joshua deals with the trauma of it all by praying and relying on his faith. I think that by the end of the book, Joshua will no longer believe in what he believes in.
Joshuas best friend, Andy, has changed over the years. I think that Joshua feels as if he is trapped between his faith to God and to his faith to his lifelong friend. Andy hangs out with the wrong crowd, drinks, and just isn't the ideal christian. He does a lot of things that go completely against Joshuas beliefs. That in itself can make Joshua hate religion for making him feel as if he has to make a choice.
I think Joshuas relationship with God is something that has gotten him through everything that has been going on. First it was him being so traumatized over his sisters accident, and then it was the shooting. I think that he uses God as something/someone to pray for forgiveness for, almost as if he is praying away the guilt. Guilt is something that he seems to have for everything, and I think if he broke off relations with Andy, he would just be so overwhelmed with guilt.
I also think the fact that Andy killed someone is something that frightens Joshua. I don't think the relationship will ever be the same. Andy threatened to murder Joshua if he didn't help bury the body, so I know that that would scar Joshua enough to have him frightened to speak his mind for the rest of their friendship. That practically disables Joshua from ending their friendship, and then the only thing he can willingly end is is faith. There is only so much faith someone can have when they put so much into something and receive nothing out of it.
I think that because of this and him feeling stuck with being friends with Andy, he will become obsessed with the idea of praying. He will pray for his sister, pray for forgiveness over Helens murder, pray to forgot, etc. He will become obsessed with it, he will put so much of himself into it. Eventually, I think he will just lose faith once he realizes that nothing is happening. Nothing is changing no matter how much he is praying, and eventually he will just hate religion and his life for giving him empty hope.
I think that when someone completely trusts and believes in something, and then that something lets them down, there really is little to nothing that you can do to stop that person from eventually hating it. Especially when it is such a controversial topic like religion, with Joshua putting so much of himself into it, and getting nothing back.
I think the reason Joshua is doing all that stuff like drinking is because he is traumatized from the murder of one of his classmates. I think he feels that he is going to go to jail anyway so I might as well throw my life away. Aren't there a lot of Christians who drink?
ReplyDelete