Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Excuse me, Sir... What's in That?

          I have recently started reading the book "An Omnivores Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. It has went into how and what is in our foods, and I myself am surprised by what I am finding out about it. I just haven't been gathering information about foods, but also how ignorant people are to topics such as these. I am beginning to wonder if it is the people that are 100% at fault.

          Growing up, I was raised in a very health-conscious environment. I practically grew up a raw-vegan until the age of around 8, when I was able to make my own decisions. There was no dairy in the house, there was no meat in the house, and there was no such thing as just going to the store and picking up a bag of chips. A simple task of that would literally take 5 minutes of my mother or father would peruse the contents of the packet, making sure that it was completely healthy before purchasing it. Food companies are constantly saying that what they put out isn't their fault. If it is something that is dangerously unhealthy and it causes someone to have serious health risks, it is always the consumers fault for buying it. While that was the way I was raised, that ins't necessarily the way that other people were. It seems as if no one has the time to read the ingredients to what they are buying. What we put in our bodies isn't well thought out, ever. 

          These food companies know that, but they put it out anyways. Not only do they put the unhealthy food out, but they also make it the cheapest and the most accessible. What these companies are doing is bad, but I wonder when the line is drawn. When does it become the consumers fault? Does it ever? 

          All in all, whoevers fault it is, this is clearly a problem that people have. These things are things that could easily be stopped by consumers lowering the cause and demand for these products, but are these companies really at fault? These are people just like the rest of us trying to make a living. In this case, it seems they are making a living of the less aware of society, but they still have the same goals and needs as the rest of us. 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I adore that book! Great choice in literature! Good connection between your life and the topic of the writing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is the consumers fault because they should be smart enough to know what they are putting into their bodies and if it is healthy or not. Also people have to educate themselves on what things are healthy and what things are not. Whenever one of my friends get something unhealthy I ask them if they know it is unhealthy and they say yes. Then they say that they don't care because it taste so good. Based on that it is the consumers fault.

    ReplyDelete